Be it the holiday season or summers, it is always a good idea to have your unwanted body hair out of the way. Obviously many women prefer laser hair removal over painful waxing, threading, and repetitive shaving. If you are planning to go for a laser hair removal session, you must prepare yourself and your skin for the treatment beforehand. First, you must understand how laser hair removal works and what should you expect during the session.
How Laser Hair Removal Works?
Dark-colored pigments in hair help the laser differentiate hair from other skin cells. Lasers can penetrate under your skin layer and precisely target the hairs with dark pigments. It can reach the roots of the hair in hair follicles and using light and electric pulses it heats up the hairs in the follicle to the point of destruction. By targeting the hair roots and hair follicles it prevents any further hair growth so you can enjoy flawless, neat, and clean skin.
Dos and Don’ts before Laser Hair Removal
There are certain do’s and don’ts that your doctor will guide you about so you come well prepared for your laser session. Here we are listing those guidelines for better understanding.
- Stay away from sun exposure or tanning beds at least two weeks before the laser session to avoid any photodamage. Regularly and religiously use a good sunblock whenever you are out, even if it is not a sunny day.
- Do not wax, pluck, or thread the laser area before coming in for a session. Waxing and plucking pull hairs out of the hair follicle while laser needs to identify hair in the follicle in order to target them. You should also not use the epilator or hair removing creams for the same reason. As a matter of fact, you should schedule your laser session at least six weeks after any waxing.
- Shave 24 hours before your session to reduce the chances of skin burn while targeting hair on your skin. Laser hair removal is a safe procedure when the laser is targeting hair follicles under the skin. You might be charged extra if the technician has to shave your hair before the session. Freshly shaved skin might be a little irritated which can increase the chances of inflammation and irritation. It is best to shave your skin 24 hours before the session.
- You should take care of your hygiene before coming in for a laser session, which means take a bath but do not use any scrubs or skin irritants. Do not apply any lotions, oils, creams, or chemical products to your skin. Stop using any topical products that can cause photosensitivity (e.g. salicylic acid, hydroxy acids, retinol, and benzoyl peroxide, etc.).
- Space your other aesthetic treatments like Botox injections, dermal filler injections, chemical peels, or microdermabrasion at least two weeks apart from your laser hair removal session.
- You can have a second session scheduled 4 to 6 weeks later. You will require 5 to 8 laser hair removal sessions depending upon your body hair to get the optimal results.
What to expect during the session?
Your eyes will be covered, and only the area that will be receiving the laser treatment will be exposed. The technician will map out the area to be treated to ensure no spots are missed. You might experience minor discomfort from the heat. After the treatment, the treated area might remain red, irritated, or inflamed for a few hours to a few days. You will be given some medication to reduce the discomfort. You will experience hair falling out after the session which will continue for a few days or even up to three weeks.
Dos and Don’ts after Laser Hair Removal
- You can go back to your normal life and pin your office routine immediately after the session.
- Use the medication prescribed to you, wear sunblock, and minimize exposure to sun or heat.
- Avoid using skin care products that induce photosensitivity and other aesthetic treatments, even mildly invasive or completely non-invasive ones for a couple of weeks.
If you are looking for an expert doctor to consult for laser hair removal feel free to approach Dr. Teoh Terence. He is a Singapore qualified and certified expert to guide you about aesthetic treatments for skin rejuvenation and facial enhancement. We have three clinics in Johor Bahru at prime locations in the city.